Welcome to Wigan Canoeing Group
Wigan Canoeing Group is a Kayaking, Canoeing and Stand-Up Paddle Boarding (SUP) recreation club which is based at Scotmans Flash, Wigan.
The group is open to anyone over the age of 8 and of any ability. The club is open from March to November and meets twice a week where members split into different groups on the day. The club do not run a booking system and new members are advised to turn up before a session starts to gather equipment and be ready for the session start.
The groups are normally split in to beginners, intermediate and general paddling groups where each group are led by a qualified instructor in either kayak, SUP or canoe.
Thursdays: 6pm - 8pm Currently suspended due to dark nights, will tart April 2024
Saturdays: 1pm - 3pm Last Saturday session 11th November, will resume late March / April 2024
The club is run out of Wigan and St Helens Sailing Club, and is managed by a team of volunteers, which means we can keep the costs of each session low, with all monies being fed back in to the club to pay for the facilities, training and equipment.
New members are allowed to attend three sessions before being asked to join as members, the fees include, wetsuits, buoyancy aids, paddles and boats, all we ask is that you bring a pair of shoes you don’t mind getting wet, please see the rules which discusses clothing and equipment.
£3 per child (Ages 8+)
£5 per adult (Ages 18+)
Individual Membership Fees:
£30 per Child - Includes 6 x sessions.
£50 per Adult - Includes 6 x sessions.
Family Membership Fees:
First Paying Adult - Full Price – All additional members are the as the Individual membership less £5 per person
As well as the two sessions at the flash each week, the club arrange trips on lakes and rivers throughout the year. In the closed winter months, the club arrange for pool sessions where members can learn other skills.
Wigan Canoe Group was established in 1992 and is run by volunteers, to provide an extensive range of paddling activities primarily for people who live in the borough of Wigan.
· To provide a structure that allows for personal development and offers opportunities to share canoeing and kayaking skills with others.
· To provide a safe, accessible and supportive environment for those wishing to participate.
· To build partnerships and links with other organisations that will enable enhanced opportunities for club members.
· To provide an “open door” policy that effectively engages with the diverse population within the Wigan Borough.
· To provide stimulating social events which promote a warm and inclusive club “atmosphere”.